- Keep moving supplies on hand for packing: Boxes, thick pens, bubble wrap, newspaper, tape measure, tape and scissors.
- Use boxes and containers that can be closed tightly. There are boxes available for purchase for dishes, wardrobe and other special items.
- Do not pack more than 50 pounds into each box. Pack heavy items in small boxes.
- Fragile items like dishes, glass and mirrors should be placed vertically in a box and should be wrapped in newspaper or bubble wrap or towels or blankets.
- Pack audio and video equipment in their original boxes. Tighten transit screws and label cables so you can set up your equipment easily.
- If removing screws, tape them to the objects they are removed from.
- Pack one room at a time.
- Label each box with a thick marker or big stickers. Indicate the following: (a) Room it should go in (b) If it is fragile (c) If it should be loaded last so it will be unloaded first.
- Cushion contents with packing material such as bubble wrap, newspaper or tissue.
- Pack books tightly on end in small boxes. Do NOT pack all books into one box.
- Keep all valuables with you.
- Confine your cat to one room in your new home to help it adjust to its new surroundings.
- Check with your local U.S. Department of Agriculture for regulations regarding moving plants from one state to another.
Notice of Intention to Vacate
Move Out Guide – PDF